Friday, January 1, 2010

My name is Mariko


The name was selected long before the brown one came. When I finally looked up the name the night before meeting her, I found out it meant "ball" or "circle" in Japanese. Whaat?... I was totally disappointed. After all, Haruki meant "sunshine, radiance". So, I had a back-up name, Reiko which meant lovely, beautiful child...and I was warming up to this new two-syllable name.

But, when I saw my girl for the first time, awww.... I knew she was a "little Mariko".

So, Mariko she was...

of course, it wasn't smooth-sailing thereafter....

Like calling Haruki, Mariko...and Mariko, Haruki...
Like calling Ruki, Riko and Riko...Ruki.
Maruki?
Hariko?

or calling Mariko, Haruk as a short name
and Haruki, Marik as a short name

Good girl to Ruki...
Good boy to Riko...

To make matters worse, since I have one of each...
for attention, I can't shout out BOYS!!!! or GIRLS!!!!

so, I call out KIDS!!!

No wonder they often look confused with all this name-calling.

No comments: