Thursday, October 8, 2009

Counting chickens before they hatch

This week, I've been busy understanding labrador genetics.

Ruki's a yellow boy. I've yet to fully understand his lineage in this MKA certificate at the moment. I know far along the line, there was some black blood. (Edit: well, actually not. He had black siblings in his litter) So, here are the possibilities...

If girl is brown and Yellow boy has black genes....babies are black (with yellow and choc genes). Real rojak!




If girl is brown (with yellow gene) and Yellow boy has black genes, 50-50 chance of getting black and yellow, with rojak genes.



If girl is brown (with yellow gene) and Yellow boy is pure, 50-50 chance of getting choc (with yellow gene) and pure yellow.



If girl is pure brown and my Yellow boy is pure, 100% chance all chocs!! ...with yellow genes though...


I suppose it's important what genes my boy carry, otherwise the litter would be like a box of chocolate...you never know what you're gonna get.

Full information here.

No comments: